In 1996 a law was passed in the UK stating that all landlords who rent part or all of a property out must have all gas appliances and gas pipe work checked for safety and have a certificate to prove so for every 12 month period.

Landlord's Gas Safety certificates can only be issued by Gas Safe registered gas engineers.

The Gas Safe Register superseded CORGI (Council for Registered Gas Installers) as the sole legally recognised gas safety register in the UK on 1st April 2009. Certificates are valid for a year from the date they are issued.

What does a Landlord Gas Safety Inspection include?

As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. You must ensure that appliances are working safely and correctly and guard against the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Therefore, every rental property that has any sort of gas appliance will require a gas safety certificate whether it be a gas central heating boiler, a gas stove or even a gas fire.